Tuesday, January 25, 2011

My new Office

I have an office!

Ok, well a temporary one, and its in the workshop on the plant...but its an office all the same. Actually its really big and used to belong to HvC, the ex-engineering manager of Phase I, as who is currently working in Projects on Phase II. So this lovely, HUGE office is mine! Pics will soon follow!

The plan is to send me to JoBurg so that I can work with the design and project engineers and draftsmen at the engineering consultants contracted to work on Phase II. I'm supposed to learn how to check and approve drawings so that HvC wont have to drive the 3 hours there twice a week to do the checking. Sounds good enough, and I'm really excited about getting a chance to work so closely with the consultants, I think I can learn a lot! But a brain-wave came to my supervisors, who realised (a week into me being in Jozi) that I don't know the first thing about the drawings (or anything concerning the project) as I haven't any plant experience. Of course I need t know what everything is/ looks like in real life before I can hope to spot errors and make changes to engineering drawings!

So...here I am, in overalls, in the Phase I mechanical workshop! The best news I've heard all week: my pink hard hat is on its way and should arrive this week! Yes! They had to order one specially for me because they couldn't find any in the store-rooms...DUH! But I told them that I just dont care, I want a pink hard-hat and demand to have my dog with me! So they're finding me a pet-friendly flat! yaay! In Burgersfort, 30 kms away...Noooo  :( oh well, its a home!

The workshop is mad, its nothing like the project's offices and definitely nothing like the fancy Melrose Arch ones in JoBurg! Wow, what a change.From heels to safety boots in under a week...must be some kind of record. But I guess a gotta get used to it, this is going to be my life for at least a few months before I can move back to projects!

To be honest, its actually just really boring! Today I went to the workshop's morning meeting, met everybody, did my site-specific induction and then just chilled! I'm waiting for the new engineering manager to finish up in a meeting and take me through the plant to get an overview of the process. I decided to be a step ahead though and downloaded a document my supervisor had published off the net to get an idea of what I was in for. Then I made a huge schematic drawing of the entire plant to show all the various steps followed in the manufacturing of Ferrochrome (coz thats what we're all here for)...

Wow, I MUST be bored!

1 comments:

Blake Mitchell said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Whoa! You're working on a huge office and you're in charge of it? That's nice. Can't wait to see what it looks like.

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post. I love getting feedback from readers!

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post. I love getting feedback from readers!

Quantcast