Thursday, June 30, 2011

Young Engineers Correspondents

I've been an active member of ASME (American Society of Mechanical Engineers) for over a year now-and its taken about that long for me to settle in to my role on the Committee on Student Development. The society is really huge-especially in the States, but one of its major objectives is globalisation and branchin-out into other regions. Unfortunately my country, South Africa have no active student or senior sections of ASME (psst: if you want to start one-I'm the person to talk to!). So things have been admittedly a little slow recently...but all that changed at our Summer (well Summer in the USA) Annual Meeting that was held in Dallas, Texas this month!

EcoHawk and I were just saying how we wanted to get more involved with leadership training within the society, and BAM! I was sitting in in a meeting and they started discussing this committee- the Young Engineer Correspondents - that was on the verge of being sunsetted due to lack of leadership to drive it forward.

Have you ever had one of those, 'OMG!' moments? (Like when you realise that your ticket had been called at a lucky draw, or you walked into your highschool classroom on Valentines Day and thought "Lucky Cow!" to the girl whose desk had on it the bouquet of red roses, then suddenly realised it was your desk!) Well-basically this was one of those OMG moments! Not only were there now two excited new leaders of the YEC, but a THIRD came forward to try and revitalise the group!


And guess who has taken over the blogging for the YEC???

me, of course...

duh.

Check it out!!!     asmeyec.blogspot.com


I'm actually REALLY excited about something relating to ASME for the first time in a very long time. When you find something you're passionate about, you always give 110%.

I only wish the insurance would hurry up and get me a computer so I can actually do the other half of the work I need to do...ie Engineers Without Borders stuff...which is another story altogether!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post. I love getting feedback from readers!

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post. I love getting feedback from readers!

Quantcast