Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Museums and Deep Dish PIZZA!

So you must be eagerly awaiting my next post! LOL. As you can see, I've changed my wallpaper in light of my recent travels...a much more exciting topic that engineering at this moment in time!

Well, trust me, the park wasn't the only highlight that Chicago had to offer! The four nights I spent at Hostelling International were just awesome! H.I. Chicago has been voted best hostel in the world a few times now and the $32 a night for a bunk in a room of 8 was not bad, especially considering its central location! I made myself quite unpopular in my room the first morning because I got us at 5:30 am to go running in the park and woke everyone up. After their heavy nights out, they were really not impressed! It turned out to be raining! but when I left the building, I bumped into a morning cyclist, who ironically was also South African. Trust the two sports freaks of the hostel to be from SA!


I teamed up with a Chinese girl and Taiwanese girl, both also travelling alone and kicked it to the Shedd Aquarium. This is definitely a must see, but the 'dolphin' show was really cheesy! It was more of a high-tech performance with the rather voluptuos trainers dressed up in skintight dolphin and beluga whale suits than a showcase of animal intellegance! As Prince charming rightly put it, it seems we abuse our poor dolphins here in Ushaka Marine World by actually making them do tricks in a dolphin show! SHAME!


After that, it was a short walk along the pier to the Adler Planetarium. Just imagine three little asian girls huddled under one dilapedated umbrella running from museum to museum! haha, was great! This was also cool but a bit too focused on the history of space travel...I did find out that I have one of Saturn's moons as a namesake! Oddly enough, Saturn is also my horoscope's 'ruling planet' Good work mum!





We made it home just in time for a group trip to the Museum of Contemporary Arts. There was a live blues band playing in the restaurant and I got to see a video of one of Vito Acconci's sordid installations. Needless to say, this was a highlight of my evening! I bumped into an Austrian guy and we decided to try out one of Chicago's most famous dishes: An original DEEP DISH PIZZA! My Lonely Plant Chicago Encounters guide was great in helping us navigate the beautiful nighttime streets and canals of the City. The pizza was something else too! The smallest size was almost too big for us both to finish but this monstrosity of tomato and cheese was everything I had hoped it would be and more!












0 comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post. I love getting feedback from readers!

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and let me know what you think of this post. I love getting feedback from readers!

Quantcast